Tuesday, December 16, 2003

I thought I would post this because I find it to be very powerful..."In some cultural contexts Paul's writings are read as telling us not to enjoy secular entertainments or bodily pleasures-or as commanding us to embrace whatever the current prudishness is. We take something out of our contemporary grab bag of ideas and assume that that is what he is saying. However, no sane, practical course of action that results in progress toward pervasive Christlikeness ever seems to emerge from such thinking...Both the secular and religious setting in which we live today is almost irresistibly biased toward an interpretation of these passages that condones a life more like that of decent people around us than like the life of Paul and his Lord." Dallas Willard. With that said...why don't we practice the Spiritual Disciplines? How did that get lost during our course through Discipleship? Why were they not emphasized when examining the life of Christ? Did we in our present day context and arrogance assume that becoming more like Christ could happen without ever attempting to partake in the practices with which he engaged himself? I have been humbled.....however, I will not allow this to paralyze me, I will not allow this to prevent a change of course...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home