Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Goin' to the chap_l and I'm gonna g_t marri_d

"Sajak, can I please buy another vowel."

If you would like to solve the puzzle...I am sure you are in shock...As of right now I am to be married August 6th...The unfortunate woman that has to deal with all of my neurotic behavior, anxiety, etc. is Melissa Mehrtens.

I would venture to guess that this is the most exciting adventure that I have embarked upon in quite some time. I have known Missy since I was 11. Her and I went to the same private Christian Middle School. She is two years younger than I am and was best friends with my sister Aubrey until they reached high school. She also went to Escondido High where she was a cheer leader, an ASB officer, and many other things. However, I was too cool and too old to talk to her. I did not want to be like all of my other friends...dating the newest, youngest girls on the campus...I found (and still do) something inherently wrong with that.

So, I never talked to Missy...When I would see her around I made a concerted effort to politely ignore her existence. I still find a way to avoid those individuals with whom I never truly connected. Since I live in Esco. I see these individuals on a regular basis...They are in the grocery store, the gym, and a variety of eateries with in the North County. I do my best to pretend that I am not who they think I am and they are not who they think they are.

On with the story...So I was playing basketball at the gym when in walks this girl...(Keep in mind I don't where my glasses when I play sports) I see her from a distance and decide that I don't know her. I continue practicing my outside shot...I turn a second time to see this woman still approaching my general vicinity...There's one other individual in the gym, but he's behind me and she is clearly not there to speak with this fellow. She is simply mistaken...I don't recognize her at all...prosopagnosia? I am not sure that this is truly my condition...It's probably better categorized as near sightedness or a chronic case of myopia...I continue shooting...I finally turn around a third time...I realize at this point that the mistake could be my own so I start walking towards the young lady...

Young Lady: "What, you don't recognize me?"
Me: "Umm...Yeah, yeah, you're Missy, Missy Mehrtens."

After the formal greeting we proceeded with meaningless conversation concerning what we are currently doing and how life is treating us. I am thoroughly unenthusiastic in discussing anything with Missy Mehrtens. I don't know her...she doesn't know me...I haven't seen her since 1998...and I haven't talked to her since 1994. This is clearly going nowhere.

The Awkward Silence:

Why are silences so awkward? They are uncomfortable and annoying. My muscles become rigid in order to counterbalance my desire to writhe with the agony in the midst of this dead space. Something is disconcerting about having to stare at someone that you don't feel comfortable talking to. Had some one been there to officiate this staring contest I would have been at ease. However, she continued to gaze at me as if I was to add something else to the conversation...I felt as though I was in a hyperbaric chamber...What was I to do? I was trapped...I suppose I could have ran away or thrown the basketball at her...However, neither of these things seemed appropriate.

It was at this point that I squeaked out, "Umm...I guess I could get your number...or something." I would have been totally comfortable with the "or something." "Or something," in this scenario translates into an "or nothing." However, she replied with, "Yeah, that sounds good." Damn It! What am I to do now? We walked to the front desk and retrieved pen and paper and made our transaction. The exchange rate for phone numbers remains constant, it is always one phone number for one phone number.

Being a Gentleman:

I have never been a gentleman in the truest sense of the word. I am a fumbling idiot. I think there are many words that more effectively describe me...mongloid and troglodyte are two that come to mind. So as any gentleman would I lost her phone number the very next day...I have not found it subsequently, but I am sure that it is currently residing in the same abyss as my other misplaced items...keeping company with half my socks and all the other important "notes-to-self" I have made over the years.

Now I must confess...talking to or hanging out with Missy did not seem like a rabbit hole worth my investigation at the time of our encounter...however, going out with her seemed much more appealing after I left the gym. As I thought about it I decided to hop in the truck for a joy ride and see where it may lead.

I rummaged through my mother's phone book a couple days later to see if she had Missy's parents phone number from over a decade ago. It was a long shot, but one worth trying. I found the number and gave it a whirl. Jackpot!! Not only did it work, but Missy picked up the phone. She was staying with her parents while the details of her condo were being finalized.

We set up a date...Our first date was almost 12 hours long. Marathons don't last twelve hours!! (At least if you run them they shouldn't). Our date was painful at times (awkward silences, you know). But we made it through and now we are going to get married...There's plenty of other fun little details and factoids...Yet I'll keep this blog at a palatable length. I'll post pictures as soon as I can...Anyways, have a great day and enjoy what the Lord has brought to you, even if it's the song of a bird or the rustling of leaves.

As far as what the future holds for other details of my life...I am unsure...However, I must trust Him in all that I do...


7 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yaay my brother is getting married!

 
At 5:13 AM, Blogger Konstantin Levin said...

oh man... oh man..

 
At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my thoughts mirror those of priscilla...are you really coming to visit us? please say that rumor is true, i want to hear this story from you, friend.
mandy

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet Shit!

 
At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eddie! I don;t know you well yet, but I do know Miss and I have to say that I trust her judgement 100%! I am so fond of you already because she loves you---so that means I do too! I am thrilled that I got to meet you once already. I am amazed at how well you write. That was very nice...* But most importantly, Missy is very important to me and she is the most unique friend I have and the only live-in roommate I have ever had so I miss her and want only the best for her. I guess what I am saying is congratulations and make sure that you wake up every morning knowing how wonderful, beautiful, and amazing your wife-to-be is! Love you guys!

 
At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohmygoodnessgracious!! congratulations, and details would be much appreciated!

-deneese

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Viv said...

As many of the others have said...
A)what!??!!!
B)wow, congratulations and all that
C)more details. there seems to be a big gap between uninterested but a date anyway, to getting married.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home