Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Hey, as of right now I am trying to get into a schedule, a routine, a rhythm that will work out well for the rest of my stay here. I had work this morning. it was fabulous. I work at Starbuck's on Campus. It's pretty sweet, I mean the people are cool and I always wanted to work in a coffee house. It's really odd to be working in one after you go to college and snag a couple of degrees. It's a little bruising to the ego, but I am not all that concerned. God clearly has me their for a reason. Anyways, I am very happy to be working, I feel like my life has some sort of purpose now. That's really cool, I am still looking for a place to take voice lessons, so hopefully that works out some time in the next week. The music thing is going really well, I got hooked up with that guy Robbie and he consistently blows my mind with what he can do. It's really quite intimidating and humbling all at the same time. It's good for me. I read some Bonhoeffer yesterday, talk about convicting. I read his chapter in The Cost of Discipleship, chapter 18, the Disciple and Unbelievers. Bonhoeffer states, "Judging others makes us blind, whereas love is illuminating." He also states, "But I bring God's judgement upon my head, for I then do not live any more on and out of the grace of Jesus Christ, but out of my knowledge of good and evil which I hold on to. To everyone God is the kind of God he believes in." All I can say is WOW!!! I am a bastard and commit this horrific sin daily. "....if we are on the look-out for evil in others, our real motive is obviously to justify ourselves, for we are seeking to escape punishment for our own sins by passing judgement on others, and are assuming by implication that the Word of God applies to ourselves in one way, and to others in another." In chapter 17, The Simplicity of the Carefree Life, Bonhoeffer states, "Likewise it is man's bounden duty to work and do things, and yet withal to know that it is Another who nurtureth him: it is not his own work, but the bounteous blessing of God." He also states, "Neither anxiety nor work can secure his daily bread." Talk about a smack against our culture....I have been a pragmatist for so long and Bonhoeffer states that this is in no way fits into the philosophies of Christ. For so long I have tried to creat a new spin on what Christ was saying. I believe that there are passages that carry much depth... However, when Christ calls us to have faith like a child I believe that He wants us to approach his words and apply them with the simplicity that a child would. I child would merely listen and then obey. When God says, "Seek first the kingdom of God..." He does not mean that we should seek first His kingdom after our practical needs our met. Anyways, my poor attempt to provide a commentary on this book will not do it justice. So run, don't walk and make it a priority to read this book, it should dramatically shape the way in which you live and will hopefully be the impetus for counter-cultural living. By the way, if you haven't checked out this website, go to www.buynothing.org. It's a must. And to quote my buddy Fes, "Today isn't Thanksgiving, is it?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home